Legal Fellows provide administrative and teaching support for clinic programs by augmenting the work of the established clinical faculty and by providing relief to clinical faculty engaged in other responsibilities. Increasingly, clinical programs are designing these positions to provide training for those wishing to become clinical faculty members.
By their nature, clinical fellowships are short-term (two years) terminal contracts designed to provide the fellow with clinical teaching experience, the opportunity to reflect on these experiences, and the prospect of being better positioned in the law school teaching market. Fellowship contracts can enable clinical programs to expand into new areas or take on limited projects on grant funding. Such experimental and limited duration projects can provide valuable service to a community, open up clinic slots to additional students, and strengthen and enliven a clinical program to build a solid foundation of clinical faculty members. Providing a thoughtfully developed training ground for new clinical faculty who are making the transition from practice to clinical teaching is even more important. Clinical fellowships allow opportunities for mentorship in clinical teaching and provide entry-level candidates with the time and intellectual space to craft a scholarly agenda that is tied to and symbiotic with clinical teaching and service.
Learn more about our BABSEA CLE Legal Fellows:
and our previous legal fellows
- CLE Legal Fellow Experiences – Ann, Ben, Tak, Legal Fellows, Thailand
- Thip’s Journey from Shy Student to Avid Access to Justice Advocate – Nattakan Chomphuthong, Legal Fellow, Thailand (currently Legal Trainer & Regional Coordinator for the Legal Ethics, Pro Bono, Access to Justice, and Professional Responsibility Initiative)
- Self Reflection on One Year Experience of Being a BASEA CLE Legal Fellow – Thip Nouansyvong, Legal Fellow, Laos (currently Laos National CLE Coordinator)
- My CLE Work Experience – Souliya Vithonthai, Legal Fellow, Laos
- Hein Nguyen Thi Dieu (Legal Fellow, Vietnam)