Clinic Costs: The total cost for the 2017 International Legal Studies Externship Clinic is $1,600 USD (for 8 weeks, additional weeks will be an extra cost). BABSEACLE is a grassroots organization where many of the staff and directors receive a very small amount of income for their work and many others are volunteers. Nevertheless, in order to function, our organization does incur a low level of administration expense. This programme cost helps us cover these overheads to administer the externship while being able to continue our work in the region.
The Clinic Cost includes:
- A Thai work permit
- In country transportation related to all Externship activities
- All training and work related training materials
- Administration, legal supervision & coordination costs
- Support for our Community Legal Education partner programmes and projects
The Clinic Cost does not include:
- Accomodation ( short term shared accomodation at the BABSEACLE volunteer house can be provided for up to two weeks for when externs first arrive in Chiang Mai. There will be an additional charge of $10 USD per night)
- Visas costs
- Travel, health or theft insurance or other travel documents
- Optional activities such as cooking, exercise and language classes
- Food and personal incidentals
*Many past participants have received partial fellowships, grants and student loans from their educational and other institutions to assist with the clinic costs. This has also included academic credit.
There will be other costs that are not included in the clinic cost. Below are some estimates of some of these living/daily expenses:
Food: Food is relatively cheap and very delicious in Thailand. An estimated food budget per month ranges from $150 – $400 USD, depending on how much one cooks or goes out to eat.
Volunteer Visas: A 3 month single entry non-immigrant O visa costs approximately $80 USD and must be obtained before arrival in Thailand at your nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate.
Transport and Incidentals: You will be responsible for paying for any local overland travel (motorbike, tuktuk, taxi, bus, tours, etc.), restaurant meals or shopping that you might wish to enjoy during your stay. Itinerary trips to other towns or provinces are usually by bus, the price will usually vary between USD $4 – $20 depending on destination.
Workshops: Workshop participation outside the city in which the intern is based. Interns wishing to attend CLE workshops will be responsible to pay their own way for all costs if they are interested in voluntarily attending.
Cultural & Traditional Activities: Cultural and Traditional Activities Participation Interns wishing to join with activities that focus on cultural and traditional activities will be responsible to pay their own way; these expenditures are not included in the “Clinic Cost”.
For more infomation, please read the following pages;